Eliza is a teenage babysitter who appears in Tom, the Babysitter from the Tom & Jerry Kids Show, and is based upon Jeannie from the classic MGM shorts: Busy Buddies and Tot Watchers. She is voiced by Kath Soucie.
Appearance and Personality
Eliza is a white teenage girl who has an ivory skin tone complexion and orange hair that is tied into pigtails, plus she has bangs. She wears a yellow long-sleeved shirt with a teal sleeveless sweater over it, white pants, teal shoes, and briefly wears a teal cap. While it's her task to babysit the baby while his mother is out, she regularly relies on the telephone than doing her actual babysitting. When Tom points out to her that the baby has crawled out of the crib, she puts the blame on Tom for "bothering the baby", despite her actual negligence. She also defends the lines she crosses, just to avoid being caught, in which the baby's mother ends up giving in to her lies.
Eliza has many friends from high school, but only mentioned during dialogue on the telephone. Her best friend is Marcie, whom she's talking on the phone to. Her other friends include Gary, Nathan, Linda, Mark, Terry, and Bruce.
- She always talks on the phone.
- "Oh, no, no, no, not you, Marcie. This dumb cat."
- "No! Forget it!"
- "No, no, no, no, no. I meant no to the cat. Yes to the prom."
- "Does the word loser mean anything to you?!"
- "Who told you to take the baby out of his crib? One more stuff like that, and you're out of here!"
- "Don't worry about the baby. I won't take my eyes off him."
- "So, what did he say then, Marcie?"
- "Are you serious? Are you serious? You're not serious?"
- "GET LOST!"
- "NO! FORGET IT!"
- "No, no, not Bruce. It's this ridiculous cat."
- "Don't worry. That nasty cat will not bother you again."
- "Oh, no, Ma'am."
- Even as Jeannie's replacement character, she's also not well-liked because of her doing the same negligence with her job. This concept is dropped from further usage in future Tom and Jerry projects, as child endangerment became a serious issue amongst parents.
- When Eliza first appears, her blouse is completely turquoise, but the sleeves and collar change to yellow for the rest of the episode she appears in.
- When Eliza dials the number to call Marcie, clearly five digits are being heard and pressed with her index finger, and then she starts the conversation. However, calls are only completed if seven digits are dialed for local calls; and on the other hand, pressing 1 and then the three-digit area code is required first for distant calls.
- Eliza's lips shift style in between animations: single lined to double-lined where she looks as if she had on lipstick and vice-versa, but never wore lipstick at all.
- The number of fingers on her hands also shift between animations: three fingers to four fingers and vice-versa.
- Many fans believe that the babysitter is based on Jeannie from the classic Tom and Jerry shorts, as both seem to be both good babysitters who promised to watch over the baby but as soon as the parents leave They Run to the phone and call their friend. Both are also unaware of the baby's action and blames Tom when they believe he took the baby off the crib.