Tom and Jerry M16 is an upcoming live-action/animated film based on the cartoon characters and animated theatrical short film series of the same name, and will be produced by Warner Animation Group. It is set to be released on February 26, 2021 by Warner Bros. Pictures and digitally on HBO Max for a month on that same date.
Tom and Jerry get kicked out of their home after an entire destruction of it through all of their slapstick mayhem. After the millionth failed attempt of doing his job as a house cat, Tom gets disowned by his owners and is left without a place to live, as Jerry is also left without a source of food.
Jerry eventually finds shelter within the walls of a large, exquisite and finest hotel in Manhattan NYC that hosts a ton of many events and the latest is the "wedding of the century", in which he encounters the hotel's somewhat intimidating deputy general manager named Terrance, who irritably wishes and threatens to exterminate him.
When a girl named Kayla recently gets hired as a new employee to the hotel, she notices Tom trying to find shelter. Her boss approves the idea of bringing the homeless cat into the hotel to do his job as a solution to their pest problem. She joins forces with Tom to stop Jerry's self-defensive and destructive antics from threatening to ruin a glamorous Indian wedding reception that will later take place in which her employment depends on.
However, it only gives her more attention, as her job may be on the line from a ploy only to end up being fired by her villainous boss who isn't a fan of Tom as well. Eventually, Kayla, and the cat and mouse duo, all find out about Terrance's plan in trying to defraud the hotel's wealthy but aloof owner named DuBros as an attempt to eradicate both Tom, and Jerry, once and for all.
Whether if it's from a failed solution to its pest problem or from a succeeded solution to its pest problem as upper management begins to skyrocket on a positive note, the cat and mouse duo later realize that they need each other and must put their differences aside by working together to save, what they hope to be, their new home, in order to survive.
- Tom Cat
- Jerry Mouse
- Spike Bulldog
- Toodles Galore
- The Goldfish
- Butch Cat
- William Hanna, Mel Blanc (Archive audio) and Frank Welker as Tom
- William Hanna, Mel Blanc, June Foray (Archive audio) and Frank Welker as Jerry
- Chloë Grace Moretz as Kayla
- Michael Peña as Terrance
- Colin Jost as Dwayne
- Ken Jeong as Jackie
- Rob Delaney as DuBros
- Pallavi Sharda as Preeta
- Jordan Bolger as Cameron
- Patsy Ferran as Dorothy
- Nicky Jam as Butch Cat
- TBA as Spike Bulldog
- TBA as Toodles Galore
- TBA as The Goldfish
- Christina Chong as Lola
- Carson Grant as TBA
- Camilla Arfwedson as Linda Perrybottom
- Kerri McLean as News Reporter
- Camilla Rutherford as Wealthy Woman
- Daniel Adegboyega as Gavin
- Obie Matthew as Wedding Guest
- Janis Ahern as Mrs. Erickson
- Joakim Skarli as Chef
- Grant Crookes as Driver
- Chelsea Li as Hotel Bar Guest
- Joelle Koissi as New York Resident
- Daniel Eghan as New York Citizen
- Tina Louise Owens as New York resident
- Ty Hurley as Hotel Guest
- Lil Rel Howery as TBA
Warner Bros. is planning to bring "Tom and Jerry" to life as CGI characters that run around in live-action settings. The adaptation will adapt the classic Hanna-Barbera property as an origin story that reveals how Tom and Jerry first meet and form their rivalry before getting lost in Chicago and reluctantly working together during an arduous journey home.
On April 6, 2015 a new theatrical feature film was announced. It will be completely animated and will be "in the same vein" as the source material. Cate Adams and Jesse Ehrman will oversee the movie.
However, in October 2018, it was announced that it will instead be a live action/animated hybrid film and will begin filming at Warner Bros. Studios, Leavesden later in 2019.
In April 2019, Chloë Grace Moretz joined the cast as Kayla, a girl who works at a hotel that gets occupied by Jerry, forcing her to bring in Tom to get rid of him.
In May 2019, Michael Peña joined the cast as the antagonist, Terrance, the deputy general manager of the hotel.
In July 2019, Colin Jost joined the cast as Dwayne, a boy who has a crush on Preeta. Later in the month, Ken Jeong, Rob Delaney, Jordan Bolger and Pallavi Sharda joined the cast.
Patsy Ferran was revealed to be part of the cast in September.
In October 2019, the film's release date has been changed to December of 2020.
In June 2020, the film's release date has been changed to March of 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
On July 18, 2020, the first look at Tom and Jerry’s designs in the film were released along with the logo. They have received positive reviews from fans of the franchise.
On September 1, 2020, it was announced that Australian toy company Moose Toys made a deal with Warner Bros. to make merchandise for the film.
On October 20, 2020, the MPAA rating for the film has been leaked. Confirmed to be rated PG for cartoon violence, rude humor, and brief language.
On October 21, 2020, director Tim Story has confirmed the first trailer for the film to offically arrive on November 17, 2020.
On October 25, 2020, a French version of the trailer was leaked online.
On October 28, 2020, it is confirmed that Tom and Jerry will appear floating on this year's American 94th Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade to promote the upcoming movie.
On November 12, 2020, a teaser trailer was released online.
On November 14 2020, an Arabic subtitled trailer was released online by Cartoon Network MENA
On November 16, 2020, the poster for the movie was released. It was also announced that the trailer will get released on November 17, 2020.
On November 17, 2020, the trailer was released online with a picture of Chloe Grace Moretz being in the movie.
On November 18, 2020, Nicky Jam confirms himself as a voice role in the film.
On December 1, 2020, It was confirmed that Spike, the Goldfish, and Toodles Galore will also appear, as evidenced by leaked footage on Framestore's website.
On December 3, 2020, WarnerMedia announced that all of their films would be made available for streaming on HBO Max the same day as their theatrical release, including this movie.
On December 14, 2020, the film's release date has been changed to February 26, 2021.
On December 24, 2020, A new poster for the film was released.
On December 30, 2020, Bobby Cannavale has a role set in the movie but...
On January 8, 2021, Two artworks of Tom and Spike was revealed online for the movie.
On January 12, 2021, An another trailer was updated and uploaded.
On January 13, 2021, More new posters was released.
- This is the third Tom and Jerry film to be released in theaters. The first being Tom and Jerry: The Movie and the second being Tom and Jerry: The Fast and the Furry that was theatrically released in select cities of the U.S. by Kidtoon Films. Although, this will be the second Tom and Jerry film made specifically for worldwide theatrical release.
- The film marks the third time where the animated characters Tom and Jerry make an appearance with real life humans, after 1945's Anchors Aweigh and 1953's Dangerous When Wet, but is the first film where they are the focus rather than making a cameo appearance in a brief sequence.
- The movie will be directed by Tim Story, an avid fan of Tom and Jerry, and this will be the first film he worked on that is aimed at a family-oriented audience.
- The movie is set to take place in Manhattan, hence as a homage to Mouse in Manhattan.
- While the movie is going to be a Roger Rabbit-esque film, the animation treatment will be stylized CGI animation that will have the look and feel of vintage 2D animation, promised to be in the vein of the classic shorts from the late-40s to early-50s, in both the character designs, and the overall character animation.
- The film will mark the Warner Animation Group's first live-action/animated hybrid film, followed by Space Jam: A New Legacy (2021).
- To avoid criticisms from the original animated film, Tom and Jerry are confirmed to not have voice actors as usual.
- This is Warner Animation Group's second film to be a movie adaptation of a particular source material owned by Warner Bros., following Scoob!.
- This is the first Tom and Jerry film to be rated PG by the MPA.
- This is the first Warner Animation Group film to have a domestic theatrical release since 2019's The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part Since Scoob was released on video.
- This is the first Warner Animation Group film to be produced in 1.85:1 aspect ratio, unlike the previous films that were produced in 2.39:1 aspect ratio.